Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 32 - A Golden Day On The Golden Pass Train

Hey everyone,

Well today, I come down from the mountains and spend the day hanging out on a train.  But not just any train. The Golden Pass Panoramic Train from Interlaken to Montreux, Switzerland.  This supposedly is one of the most scenic rides in all of Switzerland so I was really excited to be going.  Additionally, I was very excited to be sitting after my little jaunt around the mountainside yesterday.

I don't know why, but this was the best day of the trip for me so far.  It's not that the events were any better than a lot of the others, but for some reason I was just really happy today.  Don't get me wrong, I've been happy the whole trip, but this was one of those "can't wipe the grin off your face" times.  Really awesome.  It was just me, a little OAR on the MP3 player, and some of the prettiest mountain scenery I've ever seen.  Perfect.

Before this moment of locomotive bliss, however, I had a couple of hours to kill.  So I spent it wandering around the most expensive city I've ever been to: Interlaken.



Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful town, but when  a plate of spaghetti costs $25 (and I looked around for something cheaper believe me) it's not ridiculous to assume you might be a bit too proud of your product.  Still, there's no doubt it's got a couple of things going for it.


After a few hours, it was time to hit the train.  The trip was broken into two parts.  The first part was from Interlaken to this town called Zweisimmen, which was the first couple of shots here.  The last part to Montreux was where they make there money though.  Apologies for the glare.  These were panoramic trains, but they still had windows so I had to do the best I could.



I'm really struggling with how to make a smarta-- comment about mountains, so for this post (and just this one I promise) I will forgo trying to futilely entertain you while I show you pictures.  Enjoy the break and the scenery.










So this was the highlight of the day and the trip so far.  This was just before we arrived in Montreux, which is on Lake Geneva.  This picture doesn't even come close to doing the moment justice, but it was kind of cloudy and dusk was approaching, and you could see the city on the bank of the lake in the foreground and the mountains behind it.  Then out of nowhere comes that "Light from Above" sun beam in the middle of the shot.  Such a beautiful and peaceful moment.  I think this is what I want Heaven to look like.

So after we arrived in Montreux, I hopped another train to head for the Provence region of South France.


Here's a brief taste of what's to come over the next several days.  This is a shot leaving Monteux and heading to Geneva.  Time to leave the cold behind and start experiencing a little bit of the Mediterranean.

2 comments:

  1. So jealous Kenneth! So glad to see you soaking it all in and really enjoying yourself. Done any soul searching while you were there?!?! :) We all had dinner Monday night and it wasn't the same without ya. Though with you gone we had new topic of conversation...YOU! :) At least I warned you about your ears burning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Shae's sentiments...however...as you already know...it wasn't really a "new" topic of conversation! We somehow find it appropriate to discuss your life even with you there.

    ReplyDelete